Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Die Telemarketers Die!!!

(Or at the very least get some mild to moderate food poisoning, please.)

Quote for today: 'Information is pretty thin stuff unless mixed with experience.'
Clarence Day

I understand that some people are just trying to make a living like everyone else but there is a point where you have to look at your life and realize that you are part of a group of people that nearly everyone on the face of the planet would like to murder. I am talking about telemarketers. Did anyone else get five calls this morning all before 9am? I think this must be what hell is like or at least close. For me, as easygoing as I am, I am about to go postal on someone. As luck would have it, they have now come out with something called the National Do Not Call List. If you register your number to this list then telemarketers can not call you or else they will get a fine. You are automatically taken off everyone's list and the companies have to abide by this list. Is this not ingenious? I will see how well it works. The whole point is to ensure that you don't get harassed on a daily basis but it is also so that telemarketers don't get so many death threats. I don't know about you but I don't know one person who wouldn't appreciate being on the Do Not Call List. I honestly can't see how the telemarketers could stay in business after this. I mean, seriously, is there anyone out there who WANTS these people to call them? I guess if you are old and alone then maybe. Yet for some reason, somehow or another, they are still at it. They are still calling and therefore someone out there must be buying it. I am not that someone. But I could have been, many times. I am probably the most gullible person in the world. I put such faith in people in general and then I have a very near coronary when I discover that they are liars and cheats. In fact, I could very well have lost the farm many times over to these kinds of people if it weren't for my best secret weapon. RipOffReport.com This has repeatedly come to my rescue and is now and forever my knight in shining weblog. This site, if you have ever seen it, is a place for consumers to bitch about how someone sold them a piece of crap in a box or took their money, basically this is a site where people let you know what not to do/buy because they did and found out that is a scam/a piece of crap in a box. This site works wonders too, all of those scams out there have to spend money to change their name and send the site all kinds of death threats. As soon as your company name comes up on the ripoffreport you are doomed. They stand to lose big money and business because people like me who have naivete and vulnerability up the wazoo, religiously check this site before making any sudden wallet movements. My #1 rule being never give out my credit card number over the phone. I am like a child, I need to have strict rules otherwise some sparkly, shiny bits might catch my attention and then all of a sudden I can't tell where the bottom of my basket went. I would probably wake up on the floor of my kitchen in a puddle of drool with my credit card in one hand and the phone dangling from the other. There is only one exception to this rule and that is if I contact the company myself and have proof that it is a reputable company (ie: phone book, internet site, known address). Seriously though, what semi-intelligent human being would ever give their credit card number out to some random stranger who just contacted them out of the blue?? There was this one lady who phoned me and wanted my credit card number to book a 'great Florida vacation' and I could hear her kids yelling in the background. I mean really, who in their right mind falls for this shit??!! Like I said before, someone must because they are still calling. Don't do it!! It's like late night TV shopping, not a good idea people! Nothing on late night TV is as shiny and fantastic in reality. It merely looks that way because it is 3am and you are sitting in a dark room with only the TV flickering in the background. My suggestion, go to bed. This is not the peak time for shopping. I honestly can't fathom how these guys sleep at night. I would want to kill myself approximately every day.

'The years teach much which the days never knew.' -Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 comments:

Auto Details said...

Hey Ginnie! I have been enjoying your blog, you are very clever and witty. I especially like the image of you drooling with your phone and credit card. I just thought I'd let you know. Bob.

ginnie said...

Oh geez, hi there Bob. :) I quite nearly forgot that this was a public event. Yes, I do seem a lot more clever inside my head than on the outside. Enjoy!!